Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

Father's Day began with a major surprise for me this morning.....breakfast in bed!  I remember the countless years that my siblings and I (along with the help of my mom) would prepare breakfast for my dad on Father's Day morning before church.  My little guys followed suit and it was such a privilege to experience it.  The menu for the day included a short-stack of pancakes with syrup, 2 eggs cooked to my preference, sausage links, and my favorite type of fruit juice...guava.  It was such a treat to be woken up by my little princes who had helped in preparing this breakfast.  I felt truly humbled.  The kisses and hugs didn't stop, although I soon came to discover that a lot of the affection was related to them wanting to share my delicious breakfast with me (haha).  I received wonderful cards from my children and my wife, as well as some nice gifts.  

Alex gave me a DVD called "The Great Debater" which stars Denzel Washington.  We watched it this evening and it is a powerful and moving story about a black college's debate club in the 1930's who triumphed against a powerful Harvard debate team. Truly inspiring.

For supper we grilled some steaks and made steak sandwiches out of them.  Yes, I can hear my mom right now telling me that that does not sound very healthy, but I do feel that Father's Day offers an exception to eating healthy.  I played outside with the little princes and of course they again could not get enough of their swing-set (aka Castle Grayskull).  

Earlier today I had the opportunity to speak with my grandparents in Cape Town, and with the 9-hour time difference I was always have to be conscientious of not waking them up at 3:00am their time.  Thankfully my chronometric skills are above par and I therefore have not made that mistake yet.  We had a lovely chat as we discussed their upcoming trip to the USA.  We are looking forward to seeing them in August, although I was politely informed today by Grandpa that their big priority is to see the great-children.  Uh-um, so much for being the number 1 grandson!.....haha.  

I also got to speak to my dad this evening to wish him Father's Day, and we had a pleasant discussion centered around the usual conversation of sports.  From Michael Owen, to Rory McIlroy, to Khaya Malotana, to Ernie Els....some good topics covered.  

The plan tomorrow is to have Family Home Evening at the beach, hopefully eat some good food, and then plan for the summer.  Not to sure how well that is going to go considering everyone's interests vary, but it will be a good opportunity to see what kind of fun things we can do for the duration of the summer break.  

No comments:

Post a Comment