Monday, November 14, 2011

14 November 2011

So after a few months of AWOL-ness, it is certainly time to catch up on our family blog.  Life has been insanely crazy with multiple short-term and long-term changes that it's almost difficult to wonder how we even got to November 2011.  With that said, it's time we catch everyone up on what's been going on with the family and then hopefully be consistent from here on out.

Having been out of work for a few months, and despite being armed with an associate's degree in criminal justice, I just could not find work in this part of the country.  Everywhere I applied for required a relocation, something which is not exactly desirable or even feasible at the entry level.  However, despite these multiple setbacks ("multiple" is very generous), I felt the strong pull towards a career in the legal field.  Having spent some of the best 120 hours of my life as an intern in a criminal defense lawyer's office, I felt an increasing push towards law school.  In order to get a foot in the field, I enrolled in the paralegal degree at my college.  First things first.  Have to find a job.  Very little presented itself and as the months progressed, the financial savings decreased.  Desperate times called for desperate measures, so much that I began applying for anything and everything no matter what the job.  Out of the blue an opportunity in Twin Falls, Idaho as a director of a transitional facility presented itself.  Wow, finally....but....Idaho?  Hey, it was a job and perhaps this was what our family needed in order to have a new/fresh start and hopefully purchase a new home.  The plan was set for me to move, and then the family to move a few months later (probably after the winter).  The craziest thing then happened.  I was offered a position in a workers compensation legal office in San Luis Obispo (30 minutes from my house versus 14 hours).  It was only part-time so I declined and chose to pursue Idaho.  A week later (and 6 days before I was due to leave for Idaho) I was phoned by a family law attorney (10 minutes from my house versus 14 hours) who was looking for somebody part-time to help her in her office.  I explained that I had taken a job elsewhere, but that I would work for the 4 days before my departure as an independent contractor in order to earn some extra money.  Long story short, I currently work in that law office full-time.  Everything changed at the last minute and I decided to stay.  Yes, good opportunity in Idaho, but that part-time legal job turned into a full-time one, plus quite a bit of overtime (or how I like to call it, Christmas money).  The blessing of a job so close to my house AND in the field which I am wanting to pursue is one I will cherish forever.  I think my Father everyday for this truly humbling privilege to be blessed with this job. Until I finish my degree in paralegal studies in April 2012, I will only be a legal assistant.  However, in addition to the increase in pay once I've achieved that degree, I get an office the size of my living room all to myself!

What else?  Shane is beginning to talk a lot more.  His words are not overly succinct, but he is putting sentences together and it is truly a privilege to watch his growth.  Kyle is too smart for his own good, but at least it gives me an opportunity to have logical discussions with my 4-year old.

Tricia has her ups and downs since her surgery where she had multiple plates, pins and screws placed inside her neck.  Pain in her lower back has become excruciating, so much so that a pain manager has had to administer regular pain injections in order to relieve the pain from the leaking bulged discs.

No comments:

Post a Comment